Who We Are
Welcome! Let us introduce ourselves. We are FRESPACE, that is FRiends of Edisto Beach State Park and the Edisto ACE Basin NERR (National Estuarine Research Reserve) and (ELC) Environmental Learning Center. Founded in October 2002, we are a South Carolina corporation with tax exempt 501(c)(3) status.
Our purpose is to solicit volunteers and raise funds to support local educational and recreational projects for the public by enhancing the park systems, Environmental Learning Center, Ranger Station, and park grounds.
Edisto Beach State Park (EBSP)
Edisto Beach State Park is one of the most popular parks in the entire state. If offers:
- miles of hiking and walking trails
- a beautiful 1.5 mile beach
- a 1, 255 acre maritime forest filled with live oaks and some of the tallest palmetto trees in the state
- miles of pristine marshland
- boat landing
- lodging cabins, camping, and picnic areas/shelters
- EBSP also offers the state's longest system of handicapped-friendly hiking and biking trails
Edisto Beach State Park Environmental Learning Center
- youth and adult programs
- hands-on interactive exhibits
- a touch tank
- educational movie theater
- indoor/outdoor classroom programs
- park trails can be accessed from the Center
- home of the National Register of Historic Places Bache Monument
ACE Basin NERR
The ACE Basin is one of the largest undeveloped estuaries on the east coast of the United States. The ACE Basin National Estuarine Research Reserve (NERR) was designated in 1992 as a partnership program between the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR). The ACE Basin NERR aims to protect the natural beauty, abundant wildlife and unique cultural heritage of the area through long-term research, water-quality monitoring, education and coastal stewardship.